The Bombinomicon is a cosmetic item for all classes. It is a badge representing a twisted looking, leather-bound tome with glowing red eyes. A bloodstained circle of jagged teeth (complete with glowing red gums) clutch a bomb on the center of the cover.
Unlike many Halloween items, this cosmetic is not holiday restricted and can be used by players year-round. A player that dies wearing it will be gibbed in a spectacular explosion, with the color varying depending on the current day. During a full moon or Halloween, the explosion will be colored purple. Any other time during the year, the explosion will be colored gold.
This cosmetic is awarded to players who have earned the Dive Into a Good Book achievement by traveling to Loot Island through the portal that appears after MONOCULUS is defeated, then collecting the Bombinomicon held within a cage there. The Bombinomicon cosmetic can be awarded to multiple players who complete the listed specifications.
- The Bombinomicon was added to the game.
- [Undocumented] Updated the distortion effect on the Bombinomicon.
- [Undocumented] Updated the Bombinomicon effect to use golden particles outside of Halloween.
- The Bombinomicon no longer shakes the screen and has a delay before the explosion so that Snipers, Spies, and others can get better feedback on the actual cause of death
- [Undocumented] Updated materials for distortion effect of the Bombinomicon.
- The explosion effect still occurs when killed by a weapon that produces its own unique death effect: the Golden Wrench, Your Eternal Reward, Saxxy, Cow Mangler 5000, Righteous Bison, Short Circuit, Wanga Prick, Pomson 6000, Manmelter, Phlogistinator, Spy-cicle, Neon Annihilator, Golden Frying Pan, Batsaber, C.A.P.P.E.R, and Shooting Star.
- No explosion occurs for feigned deaths.
- If a player who does not have the Bombinomicon equipped is killed and leaves behind a ragdoll, then equips the Bombinomicon before respawning, the ragdoll will explode when the player respawns.
- The name "Bombinomicon," is a portmanteau of the words Bomb and Necronomicon. This is an indirect reference to a fictional book from the The Evil Dead series of films, as well as the works of H. P. Lovecraft. Both of these works feature a grimoire of the same name.
- The Bombinomicon found in the Underworld of Eyeaduct, the Island of Ghost Fort and the Hell of Helltower has text written on the back, along with a discount price tag of $6.66, with the spine of the book listing it as the 15th edition. The text on the back reads as follows:
- There are hidden images inside the pages of the Bombinomicon in Eyeaduct showing a monster wearing the Demoman grenades in a circle and other assorted Demoman and bomb-making paraphernalia.
- Merasmus and Bombinomicon are voiced by the same voice actor, Nolan North.
The Bombinomicon as it first appeared in Bombinomicon (comic)
The Bombinomicon being eaten by racoons in Doom-Mates