Hey, I'm a bomb book! It's pretty good.
— The Bombinomicon
The Bombinomicon is a cosmetic item for all classes. It is a badge representing the twisted looking, leather-bound, haunted tome with glowing eyes named the Bombinomicon. A circle of jagged teeth clutch a bomb on the center of the cover.
A team-colored Demoman class icon is depicted on the "forehead" of the Bombinomicon's cover.
Unlike many Halloween items, this cosmetic is not holiday restricted and can be used by players year-round. A player that dies wearing it will be gibbed in a spectacular explosion, with the color varying depending on the current day. During a full moon or Halloween, the explosion will be colored purple. Any other time during the year, the explosion will be colored gold.
This cosmetic is awarded to players who have earned the Dive Into a Good Book achievement by traveling to Loot Island through the portal that appears after MONOCULUS is defeated on Eyeaduct, then collecting the Bombinomicon held within a cage there. The Bombinomicon cosmetic can be awarded to multiple players who complete the listed specifications.
|| Dive Into A Good Book|
Get to Loot Island and claim your reward!
October 27, 2011 Patch (Very Scary Halloween Special)
- The Bombinomicon was added to the game.
October 28, 2011 Patch
- [Undocumented] Updated the distortion effect on the Bombinomicon.
November 22, 2011 Patch
- [Undocumented] Updated the Bombinomicon effect to use golden particles outside of Halloween.
January 11, 2012 Patch
- The Bombinomicon no longer shakes the screen and has a delay before the explosion so that Snipers, Spies, and others can get better feedback on the actual cause of death
June 26, 2014 Patch
- [Undocumented] Updated materials for distortion effect of the Bombinomicon.
- The explosion effect still occurs when killed by a weapon that produces its own unique death effect: the Golden Wrench, Your Eternal Reward, Saxxy, Cow Mangler 5000, Righteous Bison, Short Circuit, Wanga Prick, Pomson 6000, Manmelter, Phlogistinator, Spy-cicle, Neon Annihilator, Golden Frying Pan, Batsaber, C.A.P.P.E.R, and Shooting Star.
- No explosion occurs for feigned deaths.
- If a player who does not have the Bombinomicon equipped is killed and leaves behind a ragdoll, then equips the Bombinomicon before respawning, the ragdoll will explode when the player respawns.
- The name "Bombinomicon" is a portmanteau of the words Bomb and Necronomicon. This is an indirect reference to a fictional book from the The Evil Dead series of films, as well as the works of H. P. Lovecraft. Both of these works feature a grimoire of the same name.