This item functions similarly to the Sandvich. Pressing either the primary fire or taunt key (default keys: ) and , respectively) with the Second Banana active causes the Heavy to consume it and gain health. If used while the Heavy is at full health, the taunt animation plays, but the Banana is not consumed.
Unlike the Sandvich, the Second Banana recharges in 10 seconds rather than 30, but only heals up to 200 health at the same rate as the Sandvich. Additionally, when the Second Banana is dropped with alt-fire (default key: Scout, who is healed for 75 health. The Second Banana weapon itself can be collected by other Heavies via weapon switching.), it functions as a small health kit rather than a medium one. Should the Heavy be killed while holding the Second Banana, the ammo pack that he drops upon death instead restores 50 health for all classes but the
The Second Banana is automatically given to any player who completes the Pyroland Contract "Consolation Prize".
The Second Banana was contributed to the Steam Workshop.
Healing and function times
|Healing and function times|
|Consumption time||4.3 s|
|Dropped item expiry||30 s|
|Values are approximate and determined by community testing.|
|Class Token - Heavy||Slot Token - Secondary||Scrap Metal|
|Dodgers 1, Giants 0|
Kill an enemy Heavy and take his Sandvich.
Eat 100 sandviches.
- The Second Banana was added to the game.
- Fixed the bite bodygroup for the Second Banana.
- Fixed the animation for the Second Banana plate.
- Added the Second Banana to the list of weapons that can be found via random drops.
- [Undocumented] The Second Banana can now be crafted.
- The attribute +50% increase in charge recharge rate is incorrect; the Second Banana recharges in 10 seconds, which is ~66% faster than the Sandvich's recharge time.
- The jiggle bones are inverted.
- A "second banana" is an idiom which describes a person who serves in a supporting or secondary capacity. This references the fact that the Second Banana is a "booby prize", as the Heavy lost the Meet Your Match Update's "Heavy Versus Pyro" contest, while the Pyro won the main class-focused prize: the Jungle Inferno Update. It can also be seen as a reference to its secondary weapon status, or its usage in a supporting role to heal teammates.
- Accounting for the game's cartoony artstyle, the Second Banana's design most closely resembles the Gros Michel breed of banana, which was the main kind sold in the Western world until being replaced in the 1950s by the Cavendish.