This weapon functions identically to the Wrench, but with an added cosmetic function: Any enemies killed with it will produce motionless statues of pure Australium, instead of the normal ragdolls. Any Jiggle Bones on enemy ragdolls are also frozen by this effect. In addition, a special sound effect - unique to this weapon, the Saxxy, and the Golden Frying Pan - is played upon killing any enemy.
Additionally, upon killing an enemy, unique voice lines will play.
This weapon was a promotional feature of the Engineer Update. Players were informed that every time a player crafted an item, there was a chance of a Golden Wrench dropping. Only 100 Golden Wrenches were available to drop. After each 25 Golden Wrench milestone, a new section of the Engineer Update was released. The smelting of reclaimed metal and refined metal was suspended during this time to prevent exploiting the crafting system to increase the chances of getting a Golden Wrench. The Golden Wrench drops were on a timer, spaced out in such a way that every time zone had an equal chance of crafting one. The first person to craft something after one of these designated drop times were guaranteed to craft a Golden Wrench.
Damage and function times
|Damage and function times|
|Ranged or Melee damage?||Melee|
|Damage repaired per hit||105|
|Metal cost per repairing hit||1 + damage / 3|
|Metal cost for reloading ammo||1 / bullet|
2 / rocket salvo
|Attack interval||0.8 s|
|Values are approximate and determined by community testing.|
- If a Spy's Dead Ringer is triggered by the Golden Wrench, the Spy will see his own death message in the kill feed even though he would normally not be able to see it.
- The Golden Wrench does not glow when crit boosted in world view.
- The Golden Wrench was originally indicated in the material file with an encrypted message that could be translated.
- Any time someone received a Golden Wrench, a message was broadcasted to all players connected to servers at that moment, followed by the Announcer saying "Success". Likewise, a message is displayed to all players when any Golden Wrench owner deletes that item, followed by the Announcer saying "Failure". This continues in effect even after the Engineer Update.
- The Golden Wrench is a reference to King Midas, who gained the ability to transform whatever he touched into solid gold. This is further shown with the Engineer referencing the "Midas Touch" when a kill is made with the Golden Wrench.
- 14 Golden Wrenches were destroyed as part of the Golden Charity event in support of Child's Play on August 31, 2010.
- Erik Johnson said in a PC Gamer interview: "That would have been awesome, if the whole TF2 community had the chance to find the broken pieces of the Golden Wrench and restore them. That whole event is going to carry forward in some way."
- Player Vulcnor, upon winning a charity auction for Child's Play, received Golden Wrench No. 101 along with one of every other game item.