This weapon functions identically to the Wrench, but with an added cosmetic function: Any enemies killed with it will produce motionless statues of pure Australium, instead of the normal ragdolls. Any Jiggle Bones on enemy ragdolls are also frozen by this effect. In addition, a special sound effect - unique to this weapon, the Saxxy, and the Golden Frying Pan - is played upon killing any enemy.
This weapon was a promotional feature of the Engineer Update. Players were informed that every time a player crafted something, there was a chance a Golden Wrench would drop. Only 100 Golden Wrenches were available to drop, and the ability to smelt reclaimed metal back into scrap metal and refined metal back into reclaimed metal was suspended during this time to prevent exploiting the crafting system to continuously craft, thus increasing the chance of you getting a Golden Wrench. After each 25 Golden Wrench milestone, a new section of the Engineer Update would be released.
Damage and function times
|Damage and function times|
|Ranged or Melee damage?||Melee|
|Damage repaired per hit||105|
|Metal cost per repairing hit||1 + damage / 3|
|Metal cost for reloading ammo|| 1 / bullet|
2 / rocket salvo
|Attack interval||0.8 s|
|Values are approximate and determined by community testing.|
- If a Spy's Dead Ringer is triggered by the Golden Wrench, the Spy will see his own death message in the kill feed even though he would normally not be able to see it.
- The Golden Wrench does not glow when crit boosted in world view.
- The Golden Wrench was originally indicated in the material file with an encrypted message that could be translated.
- Any time someone received a Golden Wrench, a message would be broadcast to all players connected to every server at that moment followed by the Announcer saying "Success". Likewise, a message is displayed to all players if a Golden Wrench owner deletes their Wrench followed by the Announcer saying "Failure". This is still in effect even after the Engineer Update.
- The Golden Wrench is a reference to King Midas, who gained the ability to transform whatever he touched into solid gold. This is further shown with the Engineer referencing to the "Midas Touch" when a kill is made with the Golden Wrench.
- 14 Golden Wrenches were destroyed as part of the Golden Charity event in support of Child's Play on August 31, 2010.
- Erik Johnson said in a PC Gamer interview: "That would have been awesome, if the whole TF2 community had the chance to find the broken pieces of the Golden Wrench and restore them. That whole event is going to carry forward in some way."
- Player Vulcnor, upon winning a charity auction for Child's Play, received Golden Wrench No. 101 along with one of every other game item.