The Gas Passer is a secondary weapon for the Pyro. It is a bent team-colored gas canister with the Pyro's emblem painted on the front and two parallel orange/yellow lines near the bottom.
This weapon has a "Gas" meter that fills up slowly over time and with damage dealt. Unlike other rechargeable weapons, the meter starts out empty when the Pyro first spawns or equips the item, is not filled or affected by touching a resupply locker, and charge is retained upon death and respawning. The meter takes 60 seconds and/or 750 damage dealt to fill, after which the Gas Passer can be pulled out.
The Gas Passer acts somewhat like the Jarate or Mad Milk while being able to be thrown approximately twice as far; upon being thrown, it leaves a team-colored gas cloud on the floor that lingers for around 5 seconds. If the gas can bursts in midair, the gas cloud slowly descends during its lifetime, potentially reaching the floor. The Gas Passer can also be used to extinguish burning teammates.
Any enemy that comes in contact with the gas cloud is doused with gasoline for 10 seconds (5 if constantly healed). Doused enemies, including other Pyros, suffer from afterburn if they take any form of damage, including bullets and projectiles. The afterburn effect lasts for 10 seconds. If the victim lingers in the gas cloud, the afterburn duration is not reset.
Unlike the Jarate or Mad Milk, players soaked by this weapon are not considered as "wet", so it can not be used in conjunction with the Neon Annihilator to utilize its critical hits against wet players.
Taunting with the Gas Passer equipped results in the Hadouken kill taunt.
The Gas Passer is automatically given to any player who completes the Pyroland Contract "The Gas Passer".
|Function times (in seconds)
||Any damage dealt inflicts afterburn to affected enemies.
||10 s / 5 s
|Values are approximate and determined by community testing.
Kill an enemy with a taunt.
October 20, 2017 Patch #1 (Jungle Inferno Update)
- Added the Gas Passer to the game.
October 24, 2017 Patch
- Updated the description for The Gas Passer
- Fixed the charge meters for The Phlogistinator and The Gas Passer overlapping in the HUD.
March 28, 2018 Patch #1
- Changes to the "Explode On Ignite" upgrade in Mann vs. Machine
- Damage from the upgrade no longer counts toward the refilling the item's charge meter.
- Fixed an issue where explosive damage could be reapplied for each target in the gas cloud.
- Fixed the triggering bot not taking explosion damage.
- Increased explosion damage to 350 (from 250).
April 26, 2018 Patch
- Added the Gas Passer to the list of weapons that can be found via random drops.
January 5, 2023 Patch
- [Undocumented] The Gas Passer can now be crafted.
- Being soaked by the Gas Passer, then jumping with Rocket Jumper or Sticky Jumper still lights the user on fire. This is due to the gas effect triggering based on what the game considers as "taking a hit", which includes harmless explosions and fall damage.
- The Gas Passer does not appear when inspected from the backpack menu.
- The Gas Passer can be thrown through any wall, given the player is close enough.
- The Gas Passer in the hands of a player (while in third-person) constantly goes up and down if said player is currently moving.
- When reflected by an enemy Pyro boosted by the Kritzkrieg, the Gas Passer's color does not change.
- A Sniper wearing the Darwin's Danger Shield cannot be ignited by the Gas Passer.
, Conscientious Objector
, Freedom Staff
, Bat Outta Hell
, Memory Maker
, Ham Shank
, Golden Frying Pan
, Necro Smasher
, Crossing Guard
, Prinny Machete
) · Axtinguisher
) · Homewrecker
) · Powerjack · Back Scratcher · Sharpened Volcano Fragment · Third Degree · Lollichop · Neon Annihilator · Hot Hand