Balancing his replacement weapon has been very tricky due to large threat difference of the Scout between skilled and non-skilled hands.
— TF2 Official Blog
The Scout Update was the fourth major content update for Team Fortress 2.
The update was mainly focused on the Scout. In addition to three new weapons, the class gained several unique voice responses to his new weapons and gameplay events, adding further immersion for players.
Three community-created maps (Egypt, Watchtower, and Junction) were established as official due to their outstanding quality. A large patch was also made to the existing map Fastlane. A further map, Pipeline, was teased on Day 3 of the update as the backdrop, but would not be released until later.
The Scout Update was released in the February 24, 2009 Patch.
|Name||Picture||Game mode||File name|
|Bonk! Atomic Punch|
|Added: Spies can now control which weapon the enemy team sees them holding. Hitting the "last disguise" key while disguised updates the disguise to show the Spy's currently held weapon.|
|Added: Spies disguised as enemy team can now see player IDs for enemies.|
|Changed: Reduced stab radius to 160 degrees. Removed quickbackstabs and thus reduced the Spy's backstab range.† Made backstabs quicker.|
|Notes||†This has since been reverted.|
While the Scout Update carried on the day-by-day release system previously used by the Heavy Update, it also began a trend of community influence on the way in which content was given. Players could determine, through a voting system, the unlock order of the weapons through achievement milestones.
- Fans that mailed in the coupons would later receive gifts in the mail from Valve as a reward for their devotion. These gifts included a letter from Saxton Hale, which was the first look at his character, as well as a keychain of a random class.
- The letter from Saxton Hale featured the then-unreleased Ambassador amongst a list of Mann Co. products. This was another of several hints to the upcoming Sniper vs. Spy Update.
- The Force-A-Nature could originally cause great knockback with minimal damage dealt or pellets connected, and disguised enemy Spies were affected.
- Bonk! Atomic Punch originally had a cooldown after the invulnerability wore off. This cooldown slowed the Scout to the speed of a Heavy for several seconds. This was offset by a shorter resupply time. This slowdown was originally linked to the Retire the Runner achievement as well.
- The Sandman's abilities were markedly different when released. Originally the ball would cease stunned player movements completely at any distance, and could also stun Übercharged enemies. As a downside, it removed the Scout's ability to double jump and would deal 50% less damage against opponents who were not stunned.
Day 1. The Sandman was announced
Day 2. Arena_Watchtower and cp_junction were announced
Day 3. The Bonk! Atomic Punch and the Scout achievements were announced
Day 4. cp_egypt and cp_fastlane were announced
Day 5. The Force-A-Nature was announced