The Pocket Medic differs in appearance based on the class equipping it. When equipped by the Soldier, the doll and the pocket are brightly team-colored, and the doll is shown from the waist up. When equipped by the Heavy, the pocket for the doll is the same color as the Heavy's vest, the doll is darker colored, and it is shown from the thighs up.
When players equipped with this item kill an enemy unassisted by another player, the killfeed shows everyone in Pyroland that it gets the assist, with its custom name if it has one.
June 23, 2011 Patch
- The Pocket Medic was added to the game.
June 28, 2011 Patch
October 13, 2011 Patch #1 (Manniversary Update & Sale)
- Pocket Medic can now be equipped by the Soldier in addition to the Heavy.
- [Undocumented] The Pocket Medic now makes fabric sounds when moved around in the backpack.
December 1, 2011 Patch
- [Undocumented] The Pocket Medic is now labelled as a "Pocket Buddy".
January 26, 2012 Patch #1
- [Undocumented] Updated the texture for the Pocket Medic.
June 27, 2012 Patch (Pyromania Update)
- [Undocumented] The Pocket Medic is now credited with assists on unassisted kills.