This article is for content released in the update. For the patch itself, see June 23, 2011 Patch
We've been holding one of the surprises pretty close to the vest for months now. We don't want to ruin it, but we'll give you four clues to get you guessing:
1.) It IS a "Meet the" short.
2.) It involves ONE of the two remaining classes.
3.) It's NOT the Pyro.
4.) It's the MEDIC.
— TF2 Official Website
The Über Update was a major content update for Team Fortress 2, which was released on June 23, 2011 Patch. It was heralded as "the biggest, most ambitious update in the history of Team Fortress 2." Similar to other major updates, such as the Sniper vs. Spy Update and the Engineer Update, the Über Update followed a four-day-long system of daily content previews, the last of which featured a new short, Meet the Medic.
Day 1: Mobster Monday
Day 1 revealed mob-themed item packs for the Heavy and the Spy, Black Market Business and The Man of Honor, respectively, as well as a new Payload map, Barnblitz.
Day 2: Timbuk Tuesday
Day 2 revealed desert-themed item packs for the Sniper and the Demoman, "Lawrence of Australia" and "One Thousand and One Demoknights", respectively. A hidden page, accessed by clicking on a crushed can of Bonk! Atomic Punch, also revealed a Bonk-themed set for the Scout known as "The #1 Fan".
Day 3: World War Wednesday
Day 3 revealed two World War II item sets for the Soldier, The General's Formals and Airborne Armaments. Later in the day, a hidden page accessed by clicking on the drawing of the Pyro on a whiteboard revealed a hidden secondary weapon for the Pyro, the Detonator.
Day 4: Meet the Medic and Free to Play Announcement
Day 4 saw the unveiling of Meet the Medic, a new Medic item set called The Clinical Trial, and the announcement that Team Fortress 2 would be Free to Play.
To compensate those who originally purchased Team Fortress 2, a promotional cosmetic item was awarded to all who had bought the game before it became Free to Play.
Day 5: Stuff Friday (Post-update blog post)
Day 5 was a blog post following the update. It announced the availability of the Meet the Medic and Schadenfreude taunts on the Mann Co. Store; the Limited Edition Meet the Medic Lithograph in the Valve Store, and Über Update-related wallpapers added to the Artwork section of the TF2 website. Day 5 was not featured on the Über Update mini-site.
The update also introduced six Paint Cans which change color depending on the player's team.
The Strange Item Quality
This update added the 11 first Strange items to the game that could be obtained through all of the newly-added Crates by opening them with a Key.
The available Crates and items were:
- The numbers on the placards that the Heavy and the Spy are holding up in their mug shots on the Mobster Monday page are the release dates of their respective Meet the Team videos. Meet the Heavy was released on May 14th, 2007 and Meet the Spy was released on May 19th, 2009.
- The placards have the letters 'NM' on them, the abbreviation for the state of New Mexico in the USA.
- The placards also read 'Teufort', the locational name of 2Fort.
- The line sleep with the fishes on the Mobster Monday blog post is a reference to The Godfather movie. The line is a term for someone who has been murdered and then thrown into the ocean and is therefore "sleeping" with the fishes.
- Timbuk Tuesday refers to Timbuktu, a West African town that is commonly stereotyped as being exotically far away.
- Before a big battle or the start of a war, the commanding officer of a group of soldiers may give a speech in order to raise morale and rally the strength of their troops.
- The speech seen on Day 3 features Dr. Seuss-style writing, including lines like "We will fight them on a BOAT!", "We will fight them in a MOAT!", and "WE WILL NOT EAT GREEN EGGS AND HAM!".
- The line "Do you maggots remember the speech from Braveheart?" refers to this scene in Braveheart.
- The line "MISTER GARPABARP, TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!" refers to the famous speech given by President Ronald Reagan at Brandenburg Gate, in which Reagan challenged then-Head of State of the Soviet Union Mikhail Gorbachev to tear down the Berlin Wall.
- The battleplan on the World War Wednesday page is identical to the one featured in Meet the Heavy (shown in the gallery below).
- On the announcement for Timbuk Tuesday, Sniper Rifle is misspelled "Sniper Rilfe"
, Conscientious Objector
, Freedom Staff
, Bat Outta Hell
, Memory Maker
, Ham Shank
, Golden Frying Pan
, Necro Smasher
, Crossing Guard
, Prinny Machete
) · Übersaw · Vita-Saw · Amputator · Solemn Vow