The decapitation will kill anyone caught within range (128 Hammer Units, past which it has no effect) as the blade swings across them, rewarding the Demoman with a new head to his collection if he has the Eyelander, Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker, or Nessie's Nine Iron equipped. However, a kill with the decapitation will not contribute to any achievements involving performing kills with the Eyelander. Killing someone with this taunt is considered "honorable" by the Half-Zatoichi, and will allow the user to sheath his weapon without taking damage, as well as filling health.
December 17, 2009 Patch
- The taunt was added to the game.
December 18, 2009 Patch
- Fixed a server crash caused by the Demoman taunt kill.
March 15, 2011 Patch
- Fixed the Demoman taunt not working correctly when the Half-Zatoichi is the active weapon.
April 14, 2011 Patch (Hatless Update)
- Fixed taunt kills made with a Katana not counting towards honorbound kills.
June 3, 2011 Patch
- [Undocumented] The taunt was assigned to the Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker and the Claidheamh Mòr.
July 2, 2012 Patch
- Fixed decapitations creating head gibs in Low Violence and Pyrovision.