|File name:|| |
|Developer(s):|| Patrick "MangyCarface" Mulholland|
Arthur "Arhurt" Bobany de Queiroz
|Hazards:||Pitfall, Li'l Chew Chew|
|Health Kits:||×8 • ×11 • ×3|
|Ammo Boxes:||×5 • ×15 • ×4|
Frontier is a single-stage Payload map with 4 control points. The map is oriented towards organizing pushes around the cart's movement to benefit from its significant protection instead of suppressing the RED team, because the layout of terrain is highly favorable towards the RED team. The crowning feature of Frontier is its custom cart, "Li'l Chew-Chew".
Frontier was added as an official map on February 24, 2011 Patch.
Li'l Chew Chew
In place of the standard BLU cart is a substantially larger mechanized train engine known as Li'l Chew-Chew. It has razor-sharp teeth and two headlights as eyes, and a rideable platform on the back. It is impossible to build buildings on the rideable platform.
Providing cover from frontal attacks, Li'l Chew Chew is capable of significantly damaging any player in its mouth when it is moving forwards. The damage done increases as more players ride its rear platform; three or more attackers cause the train to deal an instant-kill. The platform also has a built-in BLU Dispenser, however, those riding on it will have trouble seeing directly in front of the cart as the main body of the train is in the way. It has a noticeably increased pushing range when compared to normal carts.
Control Point 1
- Control Point: Control Point 1 sits in an area surrounded by high cliffs and buildings just in front of RED's starting spawn area.
- Shack: A small, two-level building to the right of the BLU base. It has a small balcony that a Sentry Gun can be placed on to give a good area of fire over the top of the Payload cart.
- Cave: The cave sits directly across from the Shack in front of the BLU base. It too has a small balcony that a Sentry Gun can be placed on to give a good area of fire directly at the Payload cart and at the main exit point of the BLU base. However, this spot is more exposed than the Sentry Gun spot on the Shack.
Control Point 2
- Control Point: Control Point 2 is at the top of a large hill inside of a warehouse-like building.
- Rock Wall: A rock wall separates the second cap point from a small warehouse through which the BLU team may travel.
- Mesa: The Mesa is a small elevated feature at the bottom of the hill offering the RED team a path to areas further up the hill and to the warehouse control point 2 sits on.
Control Point 3
When this point is captured, two giant doors at the final pit slide open, revealing a satellite dish pointed at the sky.
- Control Point: Control Point 3 sits between a building and a plateau.
- Rock Plateau: A rock plateau comes right before the third cap and is ideal for the RED team to place Sentry Guns. There is even one rock spire with a Medium Ammo box and Small Health kit, allowing a skilled Engineer to place a high Sentry Gun out of sapping range.
- Tunnel: A tunnel near the Rock Plateau, which can be used as a choke point. Walkways along the top ends can be good areas to apply defense against the Payload cart from above.
Control Point 4
- Control Point: Control Point 4 sits above a large open pit with a satellite dish at the bottom of it.
- RED Final Spawn: The RED team's final spawn area is located on either side of the point, connected by a catwalk.
- There is a tree stump with a small health pack on it, after the first point and just before the slope up to the second, that players can get permanently stuck behind.
- After the Payload has been delivered and the round has ended, the timer on the cart will still continue to drop.
- If a RED player is standing in the open door of BLU's second spawn point when the round ends, they will be instantly teleported across the map into the third spawn point.
- If a BLU player pushes the cart, but not enough to get it out of the spawn room, and the cart retreats, the platform will stop when it gets to the beginning, but Li'l Chew Chew will keep going until it reached the same stopping point as the platform, resulting in Li'l Chew Chew clipping through over half of the platform. It will return to normal when a new round starts.
- Snipers can fire through a window frame near the final control point.
- Li'l Chew Chew can be glitched so the platform that it is towing will be far behind the actual engine, which allows the BLU team to have a significant advantage as the cart will be farther ahead than where the platform is. It also may have a model glitch, getting inside the ground and preventing RED team players from seeing the engine, which still has a functioning deathbox.
- Engineer buildings can be built at the bottom of the final pit if the Engineer is carrying the blueprints for a building when he jumps down and dies. If a teleporter exit is built here, anyone teleported to the bottom of the pit will instantly die from being inside a trigger_hurt entity.
- Teleporter entrances can also be built in one of RED's final spawn rooms, due to a lack of the entity func_respawnroom around a Resupply cabinet.
- RED Engineers can build a teleporter exit on the border of the entrance to BLU's first spawn, allowing RED entry if a BLU team member does a partner or group taunt.
- When the final point is capped, any BLU team members who were set to respawn at that time will appear in RED's final spawn room, instead of BLU's intended final spawn room.
- Players can camp RED team's second spawn (BLU's 3rd) by using sticky bombs and firing at the top of a wall where the invisible walls cause the bombs to fall into the spawn area.
- The stairwell directly ahead of the second control point can be bugged if a RED is standing behind the door, keeping it open while the second control point is capped. If the door is successfully bugged the door will shut instead of opening and it will not open again during the round, essentially blocking the route.
- The developer, Patrick 'MangyCarface' Mulholland, is also one of the developers of Yukon.
- The computer screen on Li'l Chew Chew bears the message: "Lil' Chew Chew v2.2 I've not been programmed for Regret <3 <3".
- The ticker tape below reads: "Lil' ChewChew OS 2.5 start up, Running System Check, Armor 100% ready, Vacuum Tubes 100% ready, Jaws 100% ready, Engines 100% ready, initializing vacuum tube logic --- Loading Chew-Chew personality, Debugging complete, Chew-Chew personality 100% ready, Maggot removal imminent, operational!!!".
- The official announcement writes the cart's name as "Li'l Chew Chew", but the display on the computer screen reads "Lil' Chew Chew".