Standing near ze point does nothing, get on the point dummkopf!
— The Medic to his absent-minded teammate.
Hoodoo is a Payload map. It was included with the Sniper vs. Spy Update as an official community developed map due to its outstanding quality. In similar design and layout to Gold Rush, Hoodoo focuses on fast-paced, intense action due to the map's sometimes tight and confined areas.
As with other Payload maps, the BLU team goal is to escort the cart through the map to the final terminus while the RED team has the task to stop them.
Details of stage 1.(Large file)
Details of stage 2.(Large file)
Details of stage 3.(Large file)
- Stage One – The first stage starts with an open area where Demomen and Soldiers can be effective. The first capture point leads into a cramped passage through mining buildings, where RED Engineers can wreak havoc on the offense. The second capture point is where the stage ends. Crossing a short bridge, with side passages providing routes to flank the defense and push the cart to victory.
- Stage Two – The track leads out into an open area, following the side of a long mining building. The first capture point brings the cart inside of the mining building, where multiple floor levels provide Pyros an opportunity to drop in on the action. On the right side of the capture point is a tunnel, the tunnel has a door that can only be open from the inside. This is a great spot for BLU Engineers to set up their Sentry Gun, Teleporter and Dispenser because the door can only be opened from the inside. This allows the BLU Engineer to open the door when REDs are in range of the Sentry Gun and close the door when they aren't creating a very offensive spot with almost impenetrable defense. The cart progress through a second room and out into a cramped area surrounding by industrial architecture. BLU has to push hard and use the multiple side routes to lead the cart to victory, as this area provides RED Engineers, Demomen, and other defensive classes an almost perfect position.
- Stage Three – BLU team has to push the cart along a winding path around through a mining camp, with the multi-level buildings providing plenty of routes for both BLU and RED to attack. The track winds down into an industrial building, where BLU has to push the cart out on a catwalk surrounded by a large concrete pit.
May 21, 2009 Patch (Sniper vs. Spy Update)
- Added Hoodoo to the game.
August 17, 2009 Patch
- Changes from community mapmaker Tim Johnson:
- "Added a balcony at 2-1 that I've rotated and cleaned up so it's a much better point, it attracts less sentry spam but is still holdable. 2-2 has a bit more breathing room and the one way route between BLU/RED spawn in stage 3 has gone and in its place some stairs up to the second level accessible from BLU's side."
February 16, 2012 Patch
- Updated pl_hoodoo_final
- Removed door frame collision to resolve bots getting stuck in the cave during stage 2.
- Rarely, the cart may begin to move on its own during set-up and can only be stopped if a player from the BLU team goes near enough to push the cart himself, only possible if a team member uses
- Bots will get stuck on the door leading to the second area on Stage 2; they can only get unstuck if the first checkpoint is captured, allowing the door to open.
- On Stage 3, RED Spies can get into BLU's spawn with the help of a BLU Engineer's teleporter, and even walk through the previous door to Stage 2. RED Spies can also use BLU's (previously RED's) resupply cabinets.
- In the area outside BLU's second spawn, RED players can get in a corner with the wooden planks that's placed close to the cart, causing it to be defended through the walls.
Hoodoo's unique "dirty bomb" cart.
- Hoodoo's cart is accompanied by unique sound files: The cart 'ticks' while in play. It also emits a high-pitched ringing just before the cart detonates after BLU's victory on the Third Sector. Both of these sounds reflect the cart's improvised alarm clock "timed fuse."
- In the first stage, the ambulance found in the BLU respawn acts as a fully functional resupply cabinet.
- A Hoodoo is a tall, thin rock spire found in arid drainage basins and badlands.
BLU team first spawn in stage 1
Area outside BLU's initial spawn.
RED Spawn for Stage 1 and BLU Spawn for Stage 2
Area outside BLU's second spawn.
RED Spawn for Stage 2 and BLU Spawn for Stage 3
Forward Area for BLU Spawn in Stage 3
Area outside BLU's third spawn.
RED Spawn in Hoodoo Stage 3
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAvZtXRiq0