Let's do this Texas style.
— The Engineer
The Guitar Smash, also known as Dischord, is a kill taunt that activates upon taunting with the Frontier Justice equipped. The Engineer pulls out his trusty guitar, plays a chord, and then bashes it over the head of any enemy slow, unaware, or unfortunate enough to be in the way, breaking the guitar.
Upon a successful hit, the enemy's head will appear to be pounded into their chest. This Guitar Smash taunt has a long range (128 Hammer Units, past which it has no effect), making it capable of killing an enemy standing on the Engineer's head if he was looking at the enemy at the time the taunt was initiated. The range, however, does not extend below as it will not kill an enemy the Engineer is standing on.
As with most kill taunts, this taunt can be used to kill enemy players during humiliation and stalemates.
Damage and function times
|Damage and function times|
|Ranged or Melee damage?||Melee|
|Taunt duration||4.3 s |
|Values are approximate and determined by community testing.|
July 8, 2010 Patch (Engineer Update)
- The Guitar Smash taunt was added to the game.
- In world view, other players may see the Engineer playing the Frontier Justice as a guitar instead of the actual guitar itself. This also occurs in freeze cams, but it does not occur in client view.
- If the server variable
tf_allow_taunt_switchis set to 1 or 2, several guitar gibs will fall out of the player as soon as they start the taunt and quick-switch away from the Frontier Justice. Constantly switching weapons will cause a flood of guitar parts to fall from the player. These guitar parts can only be seen in client view.
- The guitar was first featured in Meet the Engineer, and was seen at the end of Meet the Medic.
- The chord that the Engineer plays before smashing his guitar appears to be E Major add9.
- The three sounds the guitar can make as it breaks were taken from Left 4 Dead 2.