| Health Kits:
|| ×5 • ×7 • ×1
| Ammo Boxes:
|| ×1 • ×15 • ×1
Upward is a Payload map included with the Engineer Update as an official Valve developed map. It is the first official Payload map to be developed and released since the Heavy Update.
Upward is a single-stage map, similar in design and layout to Badwater Basin, with multiple control points in one round, unlike Gold Rush and Thunder Mountain, featuring three short stages with 2-3 control points.
Note: If you're having trouble with finding the locations listed here, you can scroll down to the Helpful overview section to see their exact position marked on the map.
- BLU Spawn: A large spawn with three exits. The left exit begins to lead to the slope, the middle exit to the Cart starting region, and the right exit being a corridor under the roof.
- Cart start: The Cart starts in front of the Blu spawn's middle exit, to reach the first checkpoint, the cart will need to go through a gap in the cliff and pass a small house.
- Roof: The Blu's right spawn exit is actually a long building extending deep into the map. The roof of this building is standable on for both team. Positioning yourself on the roof gives you an overview of the entire area before the slope.
- Behind roof: There is an area even more right of the roof itself. This area isn't really behind the roof but it is rather barren and mostly hidden by the roof so one could say that "it is behind the roof".
- Slope: The area leading to the checkpoint A is split in two by the "slope". A large hill spanning from the top of the stairs to the edge of the map. The area in front of the slope contains the first stretches of track while the area behind the slope contains the house and the first checkpoint itself. There is a small gap in the slope through witch the cart passes in order to get to the other side of the slope.
- House: Right behind the slope is small, two story house. The house is positioned side by side the checkpoint A.
- Cliff: Opposite the house, right across the checkpoint A is a small cliff hugging the border of the map. One could say that the cliff is an extension of the slope.
- Hill: There is a very large hill spanning all the way from the checkpoint A to the checkpoint B. This hill isn't particularly high but it is very long as we mentioned earlier.
- Tunnel: There is a large tunnel complex dug out through the aforementioned hill, the tunnel is also the place where the cart passes to get to the second checkpoint. The entrance to this tunnel begins just a few meters after the first checkpoint and the exit is also just a few meters before the second checkpoint. The people in the tunnel are shielded from people up above them on the hill, however, whoever controls the hill also controls the exit from the tunnel.
- BLU Forward Spawn: A small single spawn room with one exit. It is located halfway in the tunnel, and is unlocked for BLU when they capture B.
- Flanking cliff: One part of the tunnel branches out to the outer edge of the hill where it "breaks" outside to the edge of the map. From there on, a small cliff (which isn't anymore apart of the tunnel), slithers its way up while hugging the right side of the hill.
- Rocks: There is a group of rocks located in the middle of the hill, these rocks split the hill in two.
- B hut: There is a small hut which sits right across the tunnel exit and is positioned side-by-side the checkpoint B.
- Platform: Just as the Red team exit there spawn, they will find themselves on a small elevated platform sitting just behind the checkpoint.
- Apartments: There is a two story building sitting on the left of the checkpoint overlooking it.
- Sewers:There is an small sewer system located right beneath the first Red spawn.
- Spiraling bride: After capturing the second checkpoint, the cart will cruise for a little while until it will find itself in front of a bridge which crosses a large gap. However, this bridge isn't like any bridge, it spiral upwards like a spiraling staircase. Once the cart has "climbed up" this bridge it will find itself practically right on top of the third checkpoint.
- Under bridge: There is a small pathway sneaking its way under the spiral bridge toward the C hut.
- C hut: A small hut is positioned on the right side of the checkpoint.
- Balcony: There is an elevated ledge located right across the C hut or on the left of the checkpoint C.
- Valley: After the cart has "climbed up" the spiral bridge and reached the third checkpoint, it will now stroll through a valley to the final area of the map.
- Final area: A huge area encompassing the final Red spawn, pit, and the across buildings,
- Pit: A hole right in the center of the final area of the final area in which the cart is supposed to be thrown.
- Across buildings: A set of buildings sitting opposite of the Red spawn room right across the pit.
Blue/red diagonal lines: Blu/Red first spawn
Blue/red double diagonal lines: Blu/Red second spawn
Blu/red double diagonal lines w/ a circle: Blu/Red third spawn
Yellow circle: First checkpoint
White circle: Second checkpoint
Dark red circle: Third checkpoint
Green circle: Final checkpoint and the Pit
July 8, 2010 Patch
- Added Upward to the game.
August 17, 2010 Patch
- Fixed respawnroom entities not reaching the floor of split-level spawns.
- Fixed griefable fence facing BLU spawn near RED base.
- Added BLU high flanking route at RED base.
- Added health & ammo along BLU flanking route at RED base.
- Sealed BLU base left exit with block bullets brushes.
- Extended clip between C and BLU spawn to prevent sticky jump spawn camping.
- Fixed non-clipped non-solid railing in RED base.
- Fixed kill brush in middle spawn not extending to the ceiling.
- Put a block bullets brush on grate below middle spawn.
- Fixed some high micro-ledges accessible to sticky-jumpers.
September 15, 2011 Patch
- Fixed ending the game mid-round when mp_timelimit has been reached.
- Fixed several exploit areas.
November 16, 2011 Patch
- Fixed a teleporter griefing position near control point B.
July 10, 2013 Patch
- Fixed exploit where Blu team could be trapped in their final spawn room.
- Fixed gap in collision which allowed Blu players to be shot in their first spawn.
- Fixed fade distances on props in Blu spawn.
- Fixed players building under catwalk on the ledge of the final pit.
- Fixed clip brush exploits.
- Players can no longer be trapped by teleporting under stairs near final capture point.
- Players can no longer build inside of Red's final spawn room.
- Players can no longer build inside of spawn room doors.
- Players can no longer be trapped inside of the capture point sign.
- Prevented Blu team from entering final spawn room while it is neutral.
- Smoothed clipping collision.
- Collision performance increases.
- Handrails no longer collide with bullets and projectiles.
- Replaced floor texture in Red team final spawn room.
December 6, 2013 Patch
- Fixed players getting stuck in the initial Red spawn room after control point 2 is capped.
- Improved bot navigation.
January 23, 2014 Patch
- Fixed being able to construct buildings in the skybox.
June 18, 2014 Patch
November 20, 2014 Patch
- Added stairs to forward Blue spawn underground.
- Updated the trigger hurt in the outer cliff area to cover the bottom of the map.
November 25, 2015 Patch
- Fixed a teleporter-trap exploit inside the tunnel after the first control point.
July 7, 2016 Patch #1 (Meet Your Match Update)
- Fixed an exploit where players could sometimes build Sentry Guns in the cliffside by capture point 3.
- It is possible to get stuck in the tunnel roof support beams in front of BLU's first forward spawn by jumping while underneath them.
- It's possible to shoot out of BLU spawn in a small crack in the wall, however, it is extremely difficult to hit any enemies due to it being extremely small.
- On the path right outside the building housing the last point, it is possible to shoot over the wall into BLU's first spawn, as well as onto the path between the cart's initial position and the first point.
- Rarely, a player can temporarily become stuck and build up velocity after being pushed into the displacements by the cart before Spiraling Bridge. After getting unstuck, the player will most likely fall to their death.
The original screenshot of Upward given by Robin Walker
- Upward was officially revealed on Day 2 of The Engineer Update, but was previously shown in a screenshot given by Robin Walker a short while before.
- In BLU's spawn, there are several large holes that it looks like one can shoot through. However, an invisible wall prevents this.