The Ein is a community-created cosmetic item for the Engineer. It is a tiny, team-colored canary perched on the Engineer's left shoulder, wearing a pair of goggles similar to the ones worn by the Engineer himself.
The Ein was contributed to the Steam Workshop under the name "Einstein".
- The Ein was added to the game.
- Changed item type to "Mascot".
- [Undocumented] Added Strange quality.
- "Ein" is a abbreviation of Einstein, the last name of Albert Einstein, a leading figure in the world of theoretical physics.
- Ein being a canary is a reference to miner's canaries, which were used by miners to warn them of poisonous gases or other dangers. The canary would keep singing until poisonous gas started filling the room, at which point the canary would stop singing and die. This would alert the miners that there was danger.