Now that there was a fine piece 'a work.
— The Engineer on his welding
The Hotrod is a community-created cosmetic item for the Engineer. It is a gray welding helmet with team-colored flame patterns. When the Engineer is holding a blueprint of a building or hauling a building, the Hotrod flips down over his face.
The item's description was written by Shapechanger for the Hat Describing Contest.
March 18, 2010 Patch (First Community Contribution Update)
- The Hotrod was added to the game.
- The Hotrod was made craftable.
September 30, 2010 Patch (Mann-Conomy Update)
- [Undocumented] Added a community-contributed description for the Hotrod.
- [Undocumented] The Hotrod can now be uncrated with Unusual quality.
October 27, 2010 Patch (Scream Fortress Update)
- [Undocumented] Added the Hotrod to the Mann Co. Store.
December 15, 2011 Patch #1 (Australian Christmas 2011)
- Changed the equip region from "Whole Head" to "Hat."
- A Spy disguised as an Engineer who is wearing a Hotrod will have the hat flip down over his face upon switching to any kind of Sapper. This is due to the fact that Sappers count as buildables.
- The name and flame design are a reference to custom-built American cars with large engines, also called hot rods, which stereotypically sport a fiery paint job.
- Hot rodding is also a technique of cutting plate steel, rather than welding, with regular stick welding equipment. To a much lesser extent, hot rod can also refer to the welding rod or to a person who welds.
- ↑ TF2: Engineer's HotRod animation
- ↑ American Welding Society Forum, Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions, cutting with a welder?, Date 11-27-2006 10:12 "you can cut metal (stainless or carbon steel) ... The term is called "hot-rodding" and it is best to use 6010 or 6011 electrodes."
- ↑ Jody Collier, ezine @rticles, Shielded Metal Arc Welding Still Rules - 9 Reasons Why Stick Welding is Still King, July 31, 2009 "You can also cut metal by using a 6010 rod and lots of amperage... its called "hot rodding".