The Hotrod is a community-created cosmetic item for the Engineer. It is a gray welding helmet with team-colored flame patterns. When the Engineer is holding a blueprint of a building or hauling a building, the Hotrod flips down over his face.
- The Hotrod was added to the game.
- The Hotrod was made craftable.
- [Undocumented] Added a community-contributed description for the Hotrod.
- [Undocumented] The Hotrod can now be uncrated with Unusual quality.
- [Undocumented] Added the Hotrod to the Mann Co. Store.
- Changed the equip region from "Whole Head" to "Hat."
- A Spy disguised as an Engineer who is wearing a Hotrod will have the hat flip down over his face upon switching to any kind of Sapper. This is due to the fact that Sappers count as buildables.
- The name and flame design is a reference to custom-built American cars with large engines, also called hot rods, which stereotypically sport a fiery paint job.
- Hot rodding is also a technique of cutting plate steel, rather than welding, with regular stick welding equipment. To a much lesser extent, hot rod can also refer to the welding rod or to a person who welds.
- TF2: Engineer's HotRod animation
- American Welding Society Forum, Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions, cutting with a welder?, Date 11-27-2006 10:12 "you can cut metal (stainless or carbon steel) ... The term is called "hot-rodding" and it is best to use 6010 or 6011 electrodes. "
- Jody Collier, ezine @rticles, Shielded Metal Arc Welding Still Rules - 9 Reasons Why Stick Welding is Still King], July 31, 2009 "You can also cut metal by using a 6010 rod and lots of amperage... its called "hot rodding"