Half a decade in the making, Lazarus is a Jungle map set on a volcanic island in Southeast Asia, revolving around RED & BLU's island bases and the archaeological dig site they're fighting over in search of the Fountain of Youth!
— Steam Workshop description
Lazarus is a community-made King of the Hill map released during the Jungle Inferno Update. The teams are fighting to unlock the Fountain of Youth. Winning the round opens the door in front of the point to reveal the Fountain.
A portion of the money made from sales of Jungle Inferno Campaign Pass for the Jungle Inferno campaign goes to the authors of this map.
:Center (front to back):
Cliff/Plunge, Altar, Stairs, Point, Stage, and Fountain of Youth.BLU and RED (front to back):
Cliffside Route, Rope Bridge, Low Route, Garage, Corridor, High Route, Alcove, and Digs.
This map is a 90 degree symmetrical King of the Hill. As such, between the main or High Routes to the point are an inside corner towards the mountain and an outside corner towards the sea.
- The Labs: Each team Spawn is located within a high-tech Global Headquarters and "antiquities" research facility having only two close-set spawn exits.
Inside view of Blu's spawn showing the research facility.
The view of Red's spawn from outside.
- The Yard: A wide yard for spreading players from the Spawn to the Yard exits:
- An inside exit through the Corridor towards the more direct High Route to the Control Point, passing the flank exit to the Digs.
- A middle exit through the Garage to the Low Route.
- An outside exit through the Corridor to the Rope Bridge and Cliffside Route.
The Yard as seen right outside RED spawn.
The Garage underneath the Corridor.
The Rope Bridge that connects the RED Cliffside to the control point.
- The Corridor: A long battlements hallway that laterally connects all passages between the Spawn and the point except for the Garage.
- The Subs: At the outside (ocean) end of the Corridor, a cave room connects upper and lower levels, passing by a secret submarine base; the upper door provides a Sniper camp, the lower door provides a lengthy flank to the point ... or a flank the other way up to the Corridor.
- The Digs: Near the inside (point) end of the Corridor, a cave provides an elevated flank to the edge of the point, but with limited view of the point.
The sub near RED spawn, the door to the secret submarine base.
The inside of RED's submarine base.
- The Garage: A single dogleg passage underneath the Corridor.
- The Altar: This Balcony over the Plunge into the Dead Pool provides an outside flank to the point, or to the other Spawn.
- The Stairs: An outside flank to the point.
- The Stage: An inside flank to the point.
- The Alcoves: Recessed positions directly beneath the upper exits from The Digs, each with small Ammo and Health Pickups.
- The Fountain of Youth: The Fountain of Youth room is a map novelty that opens only during Humiliation.
The Stage facing the control point.
The Alcove on BLU's side.
The stairway to the Fountain of Youth.
The Fountain of Youth, unlocked after a team wins the round.
Control Point timing
This is the changelog of the map before it was added to the game.
May 9 @ 11:40am
May 13 @ 12:08am / Release Candidate 1
- Increased volume of waterfalls at mid.
- Disabled collisions on handrails in the side halls.
- Extremely thorough clipping second pass.
- Added more cubemap sources.
- Optimized additional prop fades.
- Reduced volume of hologram hum in spawns.
May 30 @ 7:00pm / Release Candidate 2
- Prop fade optimization.
- Changed areaportals in the submarine bays to areaportal windows.
- Added filler overlays beneath the ivy and vines.
- Fixed continuity error in arrow placement.
- Fixed lower tunnel route to have a more apparent barrier.
- Changed high route entrance to be more visible out of spawn while also fixing vis optimization from mid.
- Additional hint optimization.
- Fixed clipping on certain pillars in the hallways.
Jun 20 @ 3:48am / Release Candidate 3
- Removed the point_push from the top of the spires at mid and replaced with a func_nobuild to stop the spires from throwing off jumpers.
- Closed off outer-mid-route windows to improve optimization.
- Improved signage.
- Changed paint patches underneath medkits and ammo to white to improve readability.
- Fixed clipping in the stairs leading up to the top of the cave ruins paths.
- Changed ladders to appear less like a way up.
- Fixed the floating monitor in spawns.
- Improved skycards.
- Fixed some faces with incorrect cubemaps.
- Additional detailing and asset refinement.
Jul 12 @ 1:16am / Release Candidate 4
- Updated submarine bay routes to improve optimization.
- Rehauled hint/skip brushes, thanks to UEAKCrash for the feedback!
- Fixed a hole in brushwork in the RED grate room.
- Optimized prop fades.
- Reduced detail sprites by 33%.
- Fixed a playerclip ledge on the submarine bay route doors.
- Updated 3d skybox.
- Updated tower overlooking mid.
- Added new rooftop models by Sedi.
- Updated menu photos.
- Minor detail additions.
October 20, 2017 Patch #1 (Jungle Inferno Update)
- Added Lazarus to the game.
October 23, 2017 Patch
- Fixed an issue with map-specific sprites not loading.
- Several models of the "Willys C" jeep appear on the map. This vehicle was a staple of contemporary jungle adventure movies and television of the 1950s and 1960s. The models have the number 81344 written on the passenger side of the chassis, referencing the approximate date on which the Willys C was introduced, August 13, 1944.
One of the "Willys C" jeeps near RED spawn.