|“Ok guys, bad news: we lost that last one.”
This article documents content for Team Fortress 2 that remains in the game files, but goes unused. It may contain speculation, broken links or errors.
Background01 is a version of Dustbowl's Stage 3, Point B edited to function as a background map. Although this feature is unused in the PC version, instead replaced by grayscale screenshots of some TF2 maps, it was used in the version of Team Fortress 2 featured on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 version of The Orange Box. In the PC version, it can still be seen in its intended form by going into the Developer Console and typing
- Since this map was intended to only be used as a background and not to be played on, it has many odd features:
- Most of the geometry of the map has been removed, leaving only what the camera should see with a bit more out of sight.
- Interestingly enough, most of the 3D skybox isn't visible even though it's still included.
- Behind the camera, models of all the playable classes, as well as some common entities and props can be seen. This is used for asset pre-caching for faster loading.
- However, due to the file paths of the Broken Bottle, Kukri, and Flamethrower models changing since the map's addition, these now show as standard Source Engine "ERROR" models.
- This map places the skybox directly below the visible area with an incorrectly sized barrier separating them, causing the map to also be rendered as part of the skybox.
- Loading this map requires the game to create a server; due to this, the console versions only show this background on start-up, as it is replaced with a static image once the player has joined a game and returned to the menu.
- The camera position differs from the playable map's spectator cameras.
- The Cornwell sign overlay on the silo is missing.
- The RED team sign facing inwards is also missing.
Camera Angle seen in Spectator and Main Menu when typing
map background01 into console
Main Menu when the map is loaded in
Xbox 360 Main Menu shown on boot-up
PlayStation 3 Main Menu shown on boot-up