|Release date:||December 2, 2021|
|Last updated:||January 5, 2022|
|Developer(s):||Dylan "doggoh" Lee|
Bailey "Glitch2" Hodges
Oliver "OverPovered" Pennanen
Jesse "Custard1" Budd
Peter "Tabby" Bryant
William "Cheesypuff" Bartley-Bolster
Hugh "Huezee_" Madoc Schneider
Jonas "grambee" Carson
Chrisoph "Gadget" Manschitz
Alberto 'Petachepas' Zarzuela
Kirill 'Le Bruhe?' Ruzanov
|Hazards:||Big Mama, Pitfalls, Fatties,|
|Health Kits:||×12 • ×5 • ×2|
|Ammo Boxes:||×1 • ×10 • ×6|
A payload map set in a decaying moonbase. Blu are trying to destroy the monster in the caves. Red are trying to stop them.
— Bread Space publicity burb
Bread Space is a community-made Payload map released during the Smissmas 2021 update.
Set in a decaying moonbase, the map features a giant Bread Monster that lurks in an excavated pit. Littered about the site are attempts to fight off the strange, murderous forms of tentacled bread, including wrecked structures and barricaded rooms. Attempts at studying the bread-based life forms and mad wall scrawlings indicate the Bread Forms have successfully brainwashed the mercenaries, and a plan to place "shells" in cryogenic stasis to fly back to Earth.
BLU is tasked with pushing a drill cart into the maw of the Bread Monster, while RED, having been turned into mind-controlled "breadheads", work to defend it.
This map also features its own announcer, the Astronaut.
Bread Space was contributed to the Steam Workshop.
Several Bread Forms (Latin: Panismorph) can be found across the map.
- Cross-top shells are found deeper in the level. They do not open for the players, but are suspected of infecting RED Team through "spores".
- Possessing only upper teeth, tentacled Breadcrabs are purported to come from Shells and are rarely found alive. They cannot be accessed by players, but one can be found immediately under first BLU Spawn. Graffiti suggests that they attach to the heads of victims, taking over their minds.
- Possibly contracted from spore particles emitted by opened Shells, Burstchester is a life form that rapidly develops within the chest of a victim before bursting out, taking the form of a small, juvenile Bread Monster that crawls off to eat and grow.
- Littered in the facility are corpses of Bread Monsters that appear to have succumbed to immense green tumors. These are tentatively named 'Fatties' in a recovered Report of Postmortem Examination, Case No. SW1969-04275. Their swollen tumors rupture and spray strong acid when disturbed.
- Big Mama (Specimen 79)
- Big Mama is a humongous Bread Monster that has crawled into Tyco Excavation's borehole. Its tentacles seem to reach throughout the moonbase.
- When surrounded by its protective "Bread Heads" (mind-controlled RED mercenaries), Big Mama lies dormant at the bottom, seemingly sleeping, but at great enough depth to cause a lethal fall.
- When the cart reaches the Gate, Big Mama is roused, rising up from the borehole and roaring. Big Mama retracts slightly afterwards, peeping just above the borehole, and snaps at and gibs any player that touches it.
Checkpoint A: Outer Perimeter
- Front Yard: The area where the Cart starts. It is a desolate piece of terrain without much of anything around it.
- Observation Posts: In one of Front Yard's corners, a group of antennas and other equipment can be seen.
- Upper pathway: Branching off from the Front Yard to left, a small route which leads onto a vantage point besides the first checkpoint is present.
Checkpoint B: Transition Area
- Tycho Corp: On the bottom left side of the map is a tall, white building called "Tycho Corp".
- Slope: After passing checkpoint A, the cart makes a turn to the right and starts descending down a slope.
- Cave Flank: On the Slope's right side is tight flank route to the Overrun Room.
- Overrun Room: The structure which houses the second checkpoint. It displays signs of struggle and violence, as marked by numerous blood trails and disrupted furniture.
- Barricade: A dead end room off of second RED spawn.
Checkpoint C: The Caves
Checkpoint D: The Pit
- Excavation Drill Site
- Coring Platform
- Air Ducts
|“Sun Tzu's got nothing on us!”
This map's Community strategy page is a stub. As such, it is not complete. You can help the Team Fortress Wiki Community Strategy Project by expanding it.
Notes: None added
- Added Bread Space to the game.
- Fixed some clipping around cliffs and BLU base
- Fixed a bug where players could get stuck behind a wall of computers near the final point
- Fixed location by BLU spawn where you can build under cliff
- Fixed an issue with sound in the final sequence
- Fixed decals
- Fixed missing Breadcrab animations
- Added updated drill model
- Added normal maps for the rock cliffs
- Added missing decals and logos
- Added bread chunks that fly when Big Mama explodes
- Optimized areas to reduce lag
- Updated backpack and matchmaking images
- Fixed a bug where BLU could teleport into RED spawn
- Fixed an animation error within the final arena
- Fixed some displacements seams
- Deleted some light effects no longer in use in the final area
- Fixed being able to place buildings in the forward BLU spawn room
- It is possible to place stickybombs on the bomb cart and spawn door. If the bomb cart moves or spawn doors open, the stickies float in the air.
- It is possible to jump or fly right though the body of Big Mama while it is roaring.
- The name "Bread Space" is a reference to the Dead Space franchise.
- Rupturing, fluid-filled pustules are an element of one of the Dead Space Necromorphs.
- Outside the first RED spawn, the number "1979" can be seen, a reference to the release year of the movie Alien.
- There are some graffiti drawings by "Hatman" resembling the art style of ones drawn by Rattman in the Portal universe, tying the Community map's background to events of Valve's Expiration Date and Bread ARG.
- Other graffiti suggests that Mann Co. has been controlled by Bread for generations.
- In the cryopods in the final RED spawn room, there are chilling cases of Cerveza Royale from Expiration Date, Bread Forms (see the plan in the Lab Notes), and a skeleton (a tribute to Futurama's main protagonist Fry).
- Certain computer screens are scrolling common x86 assembly code.
- General corporate signage
- Attempts to study the Bread Forms
NOFORN lab notes also found on floor in final RED spawn.
Cryopods, with skeleton, cerveza, and shells.
- Hatman's desperate graffiti in the RED base, suggesting, among other things, Mann Co. is controlled by Bread Aliens, and the role of Teleporters in it all.
Suggestion that Mann Co. is under Bread control (note the teleporter).
- Bread Space map posters
"Hang in there, Baby" poster trope.