||Pitfall, Rocket exhaust path
| Health Kits:
|| ×6 • ×3 • ×3
| Ammo Boxes:
|| ×2 • ×4 • ×5
Doomsday pits BLU against RED, with only one team getting the honor of transporting a suitcase nuke full of recalled Mann Co. Australium to American monkeynaut Poopy Joe’s rocket, so he can blast off and hunt down Soviet space chimp Vladimir Bananas. It's the same spirit of competitive enterprise that stalled the moon landing by three years when Buzz Aldrin suplexed Neil Armstrong into a pile of folding chairs at Astromania '69! Both teams will attempt to get the necessary fuel up a preposterously slow-moving elevator and into Poopy Joe’s Australium-powered rocket to the stars.
— Doomsday publicity blurb
has multiple variations, including Halloween
Doomsday is a Special Delivery map in which both teams attempt to deliver a package of Australium to Poopy Joe to use as fuel so he can fly a rocket into space. Both teams compete to deliver the Australium to the launch pad and stay there until they can insert the Australium into the rocket's tip. Once inserted, the Rocket launches.
The map features an Intelligence briefcase with an attached bar of Australium. This briefcase is the primary objective of the map, and it is locked for approximately 45 seconds before becoming available for capture by both teams. Once the Australium has been acquired, the player carrying the Australium must battle their way towards the cargo lift at the base of the rocket. Should the player holding the Australium be killed, a member of their team can reclaim it, but the enemy team cannot. If no one picks it up within 30 seconds, then the Australium is returned to its starting position. The team holding the Australium must then survive long enough for the lift to reach the top of the rocket and for the top of the rocket to open, revealing a cargo container. The player holding the Australium must approach it to install it onto the rocket, and upon successful delivery, the team to whom the player belongs wins the current round.
Following this, the rocket launches upwards, encounters a staggering failure in the engines after a short time in the air, and crash lands upon the enemy's base, destroying a laser relay. (Facing the rocket from the platform, the BLU base is to the right, and the RED base is to the left.)
- Cliff: On the far end of the map, next to the Launch Pad is a large cliff face with an upper wooden platform that can be traversed through two small corridors on either side of the Cliff.
- Launch Pad: This area contains ramps on either side and is where the Australium must be taken and held for a team's victory.
- Tower: In the centre of the map is a tall grey tower containing two small Health kits.
- Exhaust Ravine: At the center of the map in front of the rocket is a ravine used to contain the rocket's exhaust. At the end of the ravine in front of a death pit is a max Health kit. At the end of each round, the rocket's exhaust pushes any players near the vent or in the ravine towards the death pit.
- Wooden Bridge: Above the Exhaust Ravine is a bridge that leads to the Australium. At the tower near the rocket are two small Health kits, and at the end is a medium Health kit. In the center of the bridge is a max ammo kit.
- Landing: Just above the sewer entrances for both teams is a small flat area of ground that provides a great view of the map and leads back through a corridor to the Australium Platform.
- Sewer Tunnels: On both sides of the battlefield are two sewers that lead to the Australium. Inside each tunnel is a medium Health kit and a medium ammo kit.
- Australium Platform: The Australium spawns on a small plank over a creek. On both sides of the platform are two battlements with a small Health kit inside each one, and max ammo kits underneath.
The three different paths from the spawn.
The platform where the Australium spawns.
The sewer paths leading to the Australium.
The bridge above the rocket's exhaust ravine.
Overview of the launch site with the cliff battlements behind it.
The hallways inside the spawn paths.
Kill an enemy who has damaged the Australium carrier in the last 3 seconds.
Push a player into the rocket's exhaust path at the end of the round.
||Failure to Launch|
Kill 3 players riding the elevator within 10 seconds.
||Plan Nine to Outer Space|
Launch the rocket as all 9 classes.
Win a round after the enemy team has opened the rocket lid.
||The Fight Stuff|
Win 138 Rounds.
Win a round with at least 5 teammates on the elevator.
||Best Case Scenario|
Kill 6 enemies carrying the Australium during the same round.
Kill an enemy within the broken crate area while they attempt to pick up the neutral Australium.
Play in a game with five or more players from your Friends list.
Pick up the Australium from its home position and capture it without dropping it.
June 27, 2012 Patch
- Added new game mode Special Delivery and map Doomsday!
- Friendly players glow when carrying the flag
- Fixed rare cases where flag could fall out of the world
June 28, 2012 Patch
- Added sd_doomsday to the mapcycle files
- Players can now fall into the launch pad after the rocket lifts off
- Optimized some prop_dynamics to reduce server hitching
- Engineers can no longer build Teleporters behind the spawn
- Players will no longer get pushed through the terrain if the elevator falls on them
- Death pits now kill Dead Ringer Spies
- Lowered the frequency of announcer lines
July 5, 2012 Patch
- Fixed rocket lid staying open sometimes after a player drops the Australium on the lift.
- Fixed case where the lift could continue traveling up when a player with the Australium died at the same time he touched the lift.
December 20, 2012 Patch (Mecha Update)
- Updated sd_doomsday
- Fixed various map exploits
June 19, 2014 Patch
- [Undocumented] Fixed Doomsday lagging every time the Australium respawned.
September 10, 2015 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added saucers and posters to Doomsday.
November 25, 2015 Patch
- [Undocumented] Removed Saucers and Posters from all maps.
- It is possible to clip through the rocket entirely. However, the cap cannot be clipped through, which may lead to players getting stuck between the rising elevator and the cap, and preventing the cap from opening.
- Players can clip through the drainage pipe/exhaust port just under the rocket platform, allowing them to (briefly) go outside the world.
- While most projectiles will bounce harmlessly off of the lift itself, stickybombs can still be attached to the hull of the rocket. Any stickybombs left on the rocket after it launches will remain suspended in midair where the rocket used to be.
- If a player carrying the Australium falls into the pit, the Australium will not immediately return to the drop site.
- There is a very rare chance that if a player is under the very edge of the lift as it is lowering, they will be pushed through the ground, remaining stuck and possibly untouchable.
- Anyone who manages to do this while holding the Australium can hold onto it until they either die, leave the server, or manually drop it.
- Players sitting behind the rocket delivery platform can block the enemy from delivering the Australium.
- Spies doing this with the Cloak and Dagger make capture near impossible.
- The logo on the Mann Co. Monkeynautics rocket is based on the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) logo (c. 1959-1982, 1992-present).
- The map contains two secret rooms, similar to Foundry. The first secret room (located behind the BLU spawn room) contains a BLU Spy reviewing a map with three markings. Cactus Valley in the lower right, Death Pit in the upper left and Mannworks in the upper right. Behind him is a row of four grainy pictures hung across the room of Gray Mann's Demoman, Pyro and Heavy bots, hinting to the then-unreleased Mann vs. Machine update. Another secret room is found behind RED spawn room.
- The BLU spawn room contains a bulletin board with several interesting tidbits posted on it:
- There is a newspaper article published by The Teufort Times, about a story where a "Massive suitcase nuke recall" could force Spytech, a Mann Co. Subsidiary, to go bankrupt.
- A second article published by the same publication states that Mann Co. tried to substitute the missing Australium with another substance: "Bestralium". It was deemed a dangerous failure.
- However, a notice above both these articles says: "FIND THESE MEN. $1,000,000 BOUNTY ON THE JOURNALISTS WHO WROTE THESE LIES.", followed by several arrows pointing downwards.
- Several pink memos are posted, with topics such as "Shirts downgraded from 'optional' to 'strongly discouraged'", "Captain Dan guest lecture on eating old things this July", "It is not a secret base if you keep telling people where it is", and "Do not feed the homeless helmet-wearing man living in our dumpsters," in reference to this comic.
- There is a poster saying "MISSING: HAVE YOU SEEN THIS PERSON?" with a picture of The Director in the middle.
- A white note reads: "Badlands Labor Laws", followed by two boxes which titles read: "DISCRIMINATION IN EMPLOYMENT" and "JOB SAFETY AND WELL-BEING."
- A blue sign-up paper is posted over the above that says: "GORILLA WRESTLING FRIDAYS SIGN-UP!."
- A red stamp that overlaps four lines says: "THIS JUST GOT SIGNED BY SAXTON HALE!"
- The RED spawn room has a projector showing a newspaper article published by The Badwater Bugle Herald-Tribune.
- The topmost headline reads: "TF INDUSTRIES LANDS MONKEYNAUT PROGRAM"
- Three other headlines read: "Launch Location Shrouded in Secrecy", "Jobs Coming to the Badlands?", and "Biggest Shipment of Australium in Nation's History to Arrive Tomorrow."
- Smaller details read: "TODAY'S WEATHER: 90% CHANCE OF MISSILE SHOWERS AND EXPLOSIONS" and "FIVE CENTS (FREE TO SUBSCRIBERS)."
- The sound of the Buff Banner's bugle can be heard as the rocket begins to crash after winning this mission. This is a reference to the way in which the Buff Banner was originally introduced; as 'issued to American monkeynaut Poopy Joe as a means of calling for help'.
Rocket and central bridge.
Secret room behind BLU spawn room (same photos as in Foundry secret room).
A closer look on the photos in the secret room (as seen in Foundry's secret room).
The map at the secret room.
The secret room behind the RED spawn room.
A closer look at the slide in the RED secret room.
The secret room behind the BLU spawn room.
A closer look at the notices posted on the board in the BLU secret room.
A closer look into the vault located in the BLU secret room.