has multiple variations, including Payload
RED found out about Frankenstein's shenanigans and had a brilliant idea to resurrect Redmond Mann and get their jobs back. ...Little did they know, that the BLU team found out about this whole thing too, albeit a few days later, and had exactly the same idea. ...Will they bring their leader back to life, or will RED prevent them from doing that?
— Hassle Castle publicity blurb
Hassle Castle is a Payload map included with the Scream Fortress 2020 update.
Hassle Castle, like its unhaunted version, is a single-stage map, similar in design and layout to Badwater Basin, with multiple control points in one round, unlike Gold Rush and Thunder Mountain, which are each made up of three short stages with 2-3 control points.
Hassle Castle was contributed to the Steam Workshop.
While this map has no Rare magic spells, it does have many regular magic spell pickup locations that respawn every 10 seconds, and even more that spawn with skeletons, making this map a spell-slinging spectacle. Three of these are located within the first BLU spawn.
Groups of skeletons spawn at every point capture. Additional groups of skeletons spawn as the cart passes two other locations; the coffin under the tracks in the Mine and the end of the Wooden Bridge.
Note: If you are having trouble with finding the locations listed here, you can scroll down to the Helpful overview section to see their exact position marked on the map.
- Cart start: The cart starts in front of the BLU spawn's middle exit. To reach the first checkpoint, the cart needs to go through a gap in the cliff and pass a small house.
- Roof: BLU's right spawn exit is actually a long building extending deep into the map. Both teams can stand on top of the roof. Players who position themselves on the roof gain an overview of the entire area before the slope.
- Behind roof: There is an area even more right of the roof itself. This area is not really behind the roof, but it is rather barren and mostly hidden by the roof, so one could say that "it is behind the roof".
- Slope: The area leading to checkpoint A is split in two by the "slope", a rather large hill spanning from the top of the stairs to the edge of the map. The area in front of the slope contains the first stretches of the track, while the area behind the slope contains the house and the first checkpoint itself. There is a small gap in the slope through which the cart passes in order to get to the other side of the slope.
- House: Right behind the slope is a small, two-story house. The house is positioned adjacent to checkpoint A.
- Cliff: Opposite the house, right across from checkpoint A is a small cliff hugging the border of the map. One could say that the cliff is an extension of the slope.
- Hill: There is a very large hill spanning all the way from checkpoint A to checkpoint B. This hill is not particularly high, but it is very long as mentioned earlier.
- Tunnel: There is a large tunnel complex dug out through the aforementioned hill. The tunnel is also the place where the cart passes to get to the second checkpoint. The entrance to this tunnel begins just a few meters after the first checkpoint, and the exit is also just a few meters before the second checkpoint. Players in the tunnel are shielded from players up above them on the hill. However, whoever controls the hill also controls the exit from the tunnel.
- Flanking cliff: One part of the tunnel branches out to the outer edge of the hill where it "breaks" outside to the edge of the map. From there on, a small cliff (which emerges from the tunnel), slithers its way up while hugging the right side of the hill.
- Rocks: There is a group of rocks located in the middle of the hill, these rocks split the hill in two.
- B hut: There is a small hut which sits right across from the tunnel exit and is positioned right next to checkpoint B.
- Platform: Just as the RED team exits their first spawn, they find themselves on a small elevated platform sitting just behind the checkpoint.
- Apartments: There is a two-story building sitting on the left of the checkpoint overlooking it.
- Sewers: There is a small sewer system located right beneath the first RED spawn.
- Spiraling bridge: After capturing the second checkpoint, the cart cruises for a little while until it finds itself in front of a bridge which crosses a large gap. However, this bridge is not like any bridge; it spirals upwards like a spiral staircase. Once the cart has "climbed up" this bridge, it finds itself practically right in front of the third checkpoint.
- Under bridge: There is a small pathway sneaking its way under the spiral bridge toward the C hut.
- C hut: A small hut is positioned on the right side of the checkpoint.
- Balcony: There is an elevated ledge located right across the C hut or on the left of checkpoint C.
- Valley: After the cart has "climbed up" the spiral bridge and reached the third checkpoint, it now strolls through a valley to the final area of the map.
- Final area: A huge area encompassing the final RED spawn, pit, and the across buildings.
- Pit: A hole right in the center of the final area in which the cart is supposed to be thrown.
- Across buildings: A set of buildings sitting opposite of the RED spawn room right across the pit.
Blue/red diagonal lines: BLU/RED first spawn
Blue/red double diagonal lines: BLU/RED second spawn
Blue/red double diagonal lines w/ a circle: BLU/RED third spawn
Yellow circle: First checkpoint
White circle: Second checkpoint
Dark red circle: Third checkpoint
Green circle: Final checkpoint and the Pit
October 1, 2020 Patch
(Scream Fortress 2020
- Added Hassle Castle to the game.
October 8, 2020 Patch
- Added occluders to improve optimization.
- Added a spell book near the first RED spawn and the first BLU spawn.
- Brightened up some areas.
- Fixed some texture misalignments.
- Reduced the saturation of purple spell book patches.
- Changed the ending when BLU wins.
- Fixed the arrow signs not changing near the first RED spawn.
- Fixed an out-of-bounds exploit near the first point.
- Fixed an out-of-bounds exploit in the second BLU spawn.
- Fixed an out-of-bounds exploit near the cliff at the second-to-last point.
- Changed the doors in the second BLU and the first RED spawn rooms to standard ones.
- Fixed a displacement error near the entrance to the last point.
- Moved the resupply cabinet from the second BLU spawn out of the wall.
- Updated the "Kill with a pumpkin bomb" bonus objective to be "Win a round."
- Fixed some texture errors.
- Brightened up the map.
- General improvements.
October 9, 2020 Patch
- Fixed BLU players spawning in the wrong spawn room.
- Fixed Engineers building Teleporters the first BLU spawn room.
- General improvements.
October 15, 2020 Patch
- Fixed more out-of-bounds exploits.
- Improved clipping.
- General improvements.
October 11, 2022 Patch #1
- Fixed invisible playerclip blocking part of the left exit door in RED's spawn room for the final cap.
- Fixed exploit that allowed buildings to be built in an area that is later shut off from both teams.
- There is a green signage in several places written in alchemical symbols that reads "frankenstein crypt" when deciphered.
Steam Workshop thumbnail for Hassle Castle.