The Pyrovision Goggles are a cosmetic item for all classes. They are a pair of goggles with round lenses and the term "Optical Mask" printed in between them, reminiscent of the Pyro's gas mask. Bits of the Pyroland landscape can be seen reflected on the lenses.
When equipped, players are able to see in Pyrovision; map textures are replaced with those of Pyroland, gibs and pickups are replaced with their counterparts from birthday mode, low-violence mode becomes active, other players' voices become high-pitched, all players laugh when injured or killed, and certain Pyroland-only weapons and cosmetic items become visible or change model. However, the goggles will not change textures on some official maps, or any custom maps regardless of if they are using the original textures.
This item was distributed in Vintage quality (tradable and giftable) to all players who launched the game before July 5, 2012, further characterized with the added positive attribute "Witnessed the 2012 inferno". Alternatively, a Unique version of the item can be awarded to the player by completing the A Fresh Pair of Eyes achievement obtained by dominating a player who is wearing the goggles, similar to obtaining the Ghastly Gibus.
If equipped on the Pyro, the goggles take the form of special lenses swapped into the existing mask's eyepieces. If equipped on the Demoman, the left lens are replaced by a metal hatch.
- The Pyrovision Goggles were added to the game.
- Added new options for Pyrovision to the Advanced Options dialog
- Added enable/disable for the HUD border.
- Added the ability to make the HUD border static.
- Added the ability to turn off the skybox depth of field.
- [Undocumented] Fixed not being able to inspect the Pyrovision Goggles.
- If equipped on the Demoman and then equipped on another class, the left eye does not glow.
- A Fresh Pair of Eyes can be earned by dominating a Spy disguised as a player who is wearing the Pyrovision Goggles, even if the Spy is not wearing them.
- If the map has no Pyrovision palette swap (most commonly on custom maps), the lenses will have the missing texture overlay.