That one's for me, boys!
— The Sniper on finding precious treasures
The Bounty Hat is a promotional cosmetic item for all classes. It is a worn-out tricorne topped with a closed treasure chest.
This item was awarded to players that completed 5 out of 28 objectives in The Great Steam Treasure Hunt. Users who completed the requisite number of Treasure Hunt objectives were required to visit the promotion page and click the "Unlock Hat" button in order to have the hat added to their backpack. When the user obtained 15 Treasure Hunt achievements, the Bounty Hat could be upgraded to the Treasure Hat.
December 7, 2010 Patch
- The Bounty Hat was added to the game.
September 17, 2014 Patch
- Added the Limited attribute to the Bounty Hat.
February 29, 2016 Patch
- Updated the Bounty Hat to be tradable.
- When showing the Bounty Hat on the loadout screen, the bottom half of the hat disappears, replaced with the background color.
- On rare occasions, when equipped, the Bounty Hat appears to be cloaked.
- In some cases on the loadout screen, the Bounty Hat appears twice, resulting in 2 Bounty Hats clipped into each other, one slightly offset from the other.
- The entire cosmetic is reflective while on DirectX 8.