Whoo, that was close.
— The Engineer finding his mostly unaffected treasure
The Barely-Melted Capacitor is a cosmetic item for all classes. It was originally added in the June 19, 2012 Patch, as the Damaged Capacitor. It is a capacitator with long metal prongs on the end. The Capacitator has text on it that reads '6.22V1800'. Like the Glitched Circuit Board, this item doesn't change the appearance of any classes when equipped.
Up until an unknown date, performing the High Five! taunt with another player while wearing the item, whether they were wearing a Capacitor or not, led to a message in the form of a "...walks in to a bar" joke being shown in the text chat.
- [Undocumented] The Damaged Capacitor was added to the game.
- [Undocumented] Equipping the Eliminating The Impossible set now shows new descriptions for the Goldfish, Pocket Lint, Cheese Wheel, Banana Peel, Barn Door Plank, Secret Diary, and Damaged Capacitor.
June 27, 2012 Patch (Pyromania Update)
- [Undocumented] The Damaged Capacitor was renamed to Barely-Melted Capacitor.
- [Undocumented] The Barely-Melted Capacitor is now equippable by all classes.
August 11, 2012 Patch #2
- [Undocumented] The Barely-Melted Capacitor can no longer be equipped in both miscellaneous slots.
July 10, 2013 Patch (Summer Event 2013)
- [Undocumented] Updated the Barely-Melted Capacitor item type to "Capacitor".
- Removed text displaying "... walks into a bar" upon high five taunt completion.
- This item does not appear in the Mann Co. Catalog.
- The item's description changed when viewed while equipping the Eliminating The Impossible set. It changed to "in such places, and ...", with random characters removed, which is a part of a quote from the "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches" short story, part of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes collection. When combined with the other items added in the June 19, 2012 Patch, the full quote read "Think of the deeds of hellish cruelty, the hidden wickedness which may go on, year in, year out, in such places, and none the wiser."
- A blog post was made by the Pyro on the TF2 Official Website on June 22, 1500 EDT. This date and time corresponds with the larger set of numbers on the Damaged Capacitor.
- The smaller set of numbers along the bottom of the capacitor read 07180125. When split into four and translated into letters (A = 1, B = 2, etc), it reads "GRAY".
Level 1 Capacitor
How did it get damaged? Who damaged it? What is a capacitor? Better get your tickets ready, because the mystery train is leaving the station. Or did it already leave? Another mystery!