Mildly Disturbing Halloween Mask
...moldering, eldritch veils of such manifold depravity, the human eye will not process the sheer enormity of their malevolence, and out of self-preservation will merely show you paper bags with faces on them. These faces are still moderately scary, though, so brace yourselves for mild terror! [sound of bat wings]
— Valve, on the hats' true forms
The Mildly Disturbing Halloween Mask is an unlockable cosmetic item for all classes. It is a brown paper bag with a team-colored face painted on it, with each class adorned with a different design.
The faces for each class are as follows:
- Scout - A team-colored monster face with a jagged-toothed sneer.
- Soldier - A monster face with an open smile, team-colored hair that covers the eyes, and a long orange nose.
- Pyro - A drawing of a team-colored bird with an orange exclamation point above it.
- Demoman - A team-colored displeased cyclops face sticking out a long, orange tongue.
- Heavy - A team-colored frustrated monster face with an open mouth.
- Engineer - A team-colored background behind a drawing of a robotic skull with orange eyes with two crossed wrenches below it.
- Medic - A team-colored disappointed monster face, similar to Dr. Frankenstein's monster.
- Sniper - A team-colored shocked monster face with three orange eyes.
- Spy - A team-colored apathetic monster face wearing a stereotypical black "spy mask" over the eyes.
This item can only be worn around Halloween or during a Full Moon; at other times of the year, it does not appear in gameplay, unless the server has Halloween mode enabled. However, it can be equipped at any time and can still be viewed on the loadout screen even when it is not visible during games.
This item is awarded to players who earn the Candy Coroner achievement by collecting 20 player-dropped Halloween pumpkins on Halloween maps.
The item's description was written by Duffren for the Hat Describing Contest.
- The Mildly Disturbing Halloween Mask was added to the game.
September 30, 2010 Patch (Mann-Conomy Update)
- [Undocumented] Added a community-contributed description for the Mildly Disturbing Halloween Mask.
- The Mildly Disturbing Halloween Mask was made nameable.
- Fixed the Candy Coroner achievement not awarding the Mildly Disturbing Halloween Mask.
October 27, 2011 Patch (Very Scary Halloween Special)
- [Undocumented] The Mildly Disturbing Halloween Mask can now be equipped during the Full Moon.
October 29, 2014 Patch (Scream Fortress 2014)
- [Undocumented] Added Strange quality.